** ACT Registered Nurse
To provide professional, quality program services to the clients served by the ACT team. Promote the physical and mental health of clients on the ACT team. Work with other members of the treatment team to assist consumers to obtain and maintain an optimum quality of life. Provide clinical oversight to staff. Monitor, educate, coach and instruct clients as needed.
• Current license as a Registered Nurse in the state of Minnesota.
• Bachelors Degree in related field.
• Minimum of 2,000 hours experience in an inpatient or outpatient psychiatric setting.
Duties and Responsibilities:
• Conduct the nursing assessment on clients. Participate in and conduct parts of the client-centered comprehensive assessment.
• Participate in daily team meetings and treatment planning review meetings.
• Take the lead role and participate in providing medication administration and medical services.
• Develop, maintain and supervise team psychopharmacologic and medical treatment and medication policies and procedures including administering, evaluating and recording psychotropic medications prescribed by the team psychiatrist; evaluate and chart psychotropic medication effectiveness, complications and side effects; and arrange for required lab work according to protocol.
• Manage the system of getting medication to clients and integrating medication administration tightly into clients’ individual treatment plans.
• Administer IM medications to clients.
• Manage pharmaceuticals and medical supplies.
• Coordinate, schedule, and administer medical assessments of client physical health, make appropriate referrals to community physicians, and coordinate psychiatric treatment with medical treatment.
• Work with the ACT psychiatrists to coordinate care with ACT team and all existing social service agencies to encourage consistent and appropriate ongoing care of the client.
• Assist in the development of the individualized treatment and crisis plans.
• Assist clients with managing their medications, including obtaining necessary prescriptions, medication administration, and monitoring side effects. Instruct clients in medication self-management as needed.
• File reports with Vulnerable Adult, the Ombudsman’s Office, Child Protection, and other mandated/required reports when appropriate.
• Act as a care coordinator for assigned clients.
• Participate in evening, weekend, and holiday coverage and be on-call as needed by the team.
• Must transport clients in the community.
• Complete all paperwork, reports, and charting contemporaneously and in an organized manner.
• Participate actively in on-going professional growth and development; maintain appropriate professional behavior and participate in appropriate supervision.
• Maintain a pattern of regular work hours.
• Other duties as assigned.
• RN must have 24 continuing education hours every 2 years.
• Knowledge of symptoms and course of serious and persistent mental illness as well as medications and other therapies.
• Knowledge of current principles, practices and techniques of case management.
• Have knowledge of evidence-based clinical practices.
• Have demonstrable working knowledge of vulnerable adults laws and other pertinent rules and regulations.
• Be knowledgeable about and utilize various substance abuse treatment modalities such as harm reduction and motivational interviewing.
• Knowledge of supportive counseling techniques, independent living skills/teaching and crisis intervention techniques.
• Knowledge of community resources.
• Knowledge of Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation (CPR).
• Utilizes crisis assessment tools for suicidal and aggressive behavior.
• Assess and manage crisis situations.
• Develop appropriate therapeutic relationship with clients.
• Able to use a computer for word-processing and data base management.
• Must have good interpersonal skills and ability to work independently and be part of an ACT team.
• Be able to speak, clearly understand and write the English language.
• Must have a car, MN driver’s license and be able to drive, day or evening hours.
• Be able to accommodate flexible working hours.
Essential Physical Functions:
• Type frequently.
• Drive often.
• Sit frequently.
• Stand occasionally.
• Walk frequently.
• Climb flights of stairs.
• Lift 40 pounds or more.